Agenda and minutes

Leicestershire County Council Highway Forum for Charnwood - Tuesday, 12 July 2011 6.00 pm

Venue: Court Rooms – Woodgate, Loughborough

Contact: Sue Dann Tel: (0116) 305 7122 

Note: NEW VENUE 

Items
No. Item

147.

Chairman's welcome

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed Members and officers to the meeting.  For the benefit of new Members, he asked if Members and officers could introduce themselves.

 

148.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Professor M E Preston CC, Mr D Slater CC and Mrs B Seaton BC.

 

149.

Urgent items

Minutes:

The Chairman confirmed that he had an urgent item which he would take under agenda item 16.

150.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

151.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 63 KB

Minutes:

Minutes of the previous meeting held on Wednesday 30th March 2011 were confirmed and signed as a true record of the meeting. 

 

152.

Chairman's update pdf icon PDF 57 KB

a)              Community Speed Watch

b)              HGV enforcement update – 2010/11 enforcement

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman asked if Members had any questions with the items in the update

 

i)          Community Speed Watch

           

Mr R Shepherd CC confirmed that he had spoken to Mr Wilson at the County Council on this item.  He was concerned that the minimum number of volunteers (6) required to undertake a CSW was excessive.

The Chairman asked that when the annual report on CSW (which is due either later in 2011 or early 2012) was prepared, that it contained the principles behind CSW and how the number of volunteers required was arrived at.

 

ii)         HGV enforcement update – 2010/11 enforcement

 

Mr P S Harley CC thanked officers for the excellent update and the planning review of signage in Thurmaston.

 

iii)        Departmental Re-organisation

 

The Chairman asked Mr Payne to update Members on the present position of the departmental re-organisation.  Mr Payne confirmed that the departmental management team and group managers were in place and working on finalising the structures of the department around LTP3 and the required savings.  He anticipated that the new structure would be in place before the end of 2011.

 

Mr Payne explained that Mr Warrington had now left the County Council to take up his new post as Director of Highways with Nottinghamshire County Council.   Mr Hay will be the interim Highways Manager until a replacement for Mr Warrington can be appointed.

 

The Chairman and Members asked that a letter be drafted on behalf of the Forum expressing their thanks to Mr Warrington for all of his efforts on behalf of Charnwood.

 

Mr Payne agreed to circulate contact details of officers affected by the re-organisation to Members.

 

153.

Presentation of petitions under Standing Order 36.

(i)      A petition with 43 signatures from Natalie Ellis will be presented.  The petition is from the residents of Regent Street requesting double yellow lines or keep clear signage on either side of the junction of Regent Street with Seagrave Road in Thrussington.

We the residents of Regent Street Thrussington request that County Hall is to provide double yellow lines at the junction of Regent Street and Seagrave Road in the interests of highway safety or keep clear signage.

(ii)     A petition with 28 signatures from Mr John Catt (Loughborough and District Cycle Campaign and Leicestershire and Rutland CTC) will be presented.  The petition requests for the layout of the Woodthorpe roundabout, Loughborough be changed in order to reduce the speed of cars entering Allendale Road.

We, the undersigned petition the council to take practical steps to reduce the danger posed to cyclists using the designated cycle path beside the main road at the Ling Road/Allendale Road roundabout, Loughborough. 

Currently, motor vehicles entering Allendale can do so at high speed.  This, together with the fact that many do not indicate, leaves cyclists in a vulnerable position as they attempt to cross Allendale Road.                       

This could include adjusting the line of the cycle track and/or changing the layout of the roundabout in order to reduce the speed of cars entering Allendale Road, or simply introducing a speed hump where the two routes cross.

(A response in answer to this petition can be found at item 8 below)

 

Minutes:

i)          A petition with 43 signatures from Natalie Ellis will be presented.  The petition is from residents of Regent Street requiring double yellow lines or keep clear signage on either side of the junction of Regent Street with Seagrave Road in Thrussington.

 

The Chairman asked Ms Ellis to speak on the petition.  Ms Ellis explained the details behind the petition and the problems with visibility at the junction.

 

Mr D W Houseman CC paid tribute to Ms Ellis and the residents for preparing the petition and evidence of the problem.  Visibility is very difficult at the junction.  He also asked that an assessment of the difficulty of turning at the top of Regent Road be undertaken.

 

The Chairman confirmed the protocol around petitions with the outcomes of the investigation being reported back to the lead petitioner and Local Member within the prescribed six month timescale.  A report will also come to a future forum meeting.

 

ii)                     A petition with 28 signatures from Mr John Catt (Loughborough and District Cycle Campaign and Leicestershire and Rutland CTC) will be presented.  The petition requires for the layout of the Woodthorpe roundabout, Loughborough, be changed in order to reduce the speed of cars entering Allandale Road.

 

The Chairman explained that Mr Catt had sent his apologies and asked Mr Clay to speak on his behalf. Mr Clay had concerns about the report in response to the petition and made these points:

 

-          Children travelling from Quorn Rawlins to the roundabout on bicycles cannot see motorists.  However, the report states that there is good visibility.  He suggested warning signs were erected stating cyclists would be crossing. 

-          There will be hundreds of extra homes with extra traffic implications on the Allandale Road estate.  Mr Clay realised that monies were tight but suggested that at a minimum cost improvements could be made involving a few extra square metres of tarmac.  This would widen the cycle lane at the junction and improve visibility.

 

154.

Response to petition : request for alterations to the cycle track / speed reducing measures at the Woodthorpe Roundabout, Loughborough pdf icon PDF 71 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Forum considered a report by the Director of Environment and Transport on the petition for Woodthorpe Roundabout, Loughborough.  The report was introduced by Mr O’Connor with a copy filed with the minutes.  Mr O’Connor took Members through the report and its recommendation that, after investigation, funding for a scheme to reduce vehicle speeds and/or personal accident injuries could not be justified.

 

Mr M J Hunt CC stated that this was a prime route to school and highlighted the County Council’s policy to encourage children to cycle or walk to school.   He pointed out that if a road is considered dangerous then parents would not let children cycle.  This creates a problem with the stated statistics of a low level of accidents if children do not use the road.  Signage is a better option for children and cyclists.

 

Several Members agreed with Mr Clay’s comments.

 

Mr O’Connor agreed to arrange a site visit with Mr Catt and Mr Clay to discuss concerns with the report.

 

RECOMMENDATIONS

 

i)                    That the report of the Director of Environment and Transport be noted; and

ii)                  that a site visit be arranged to discuss concerns with Mr Catt and Mr Clay.

 

155.

Pavement parking campaign (report of the Street Scene Manager - Charnwood Borough Council) pdf icon PDF 71 KB

Minutes:

The Forum considered a report by the Street Scene Manager, Charnwood Borough Council, on the pavement parking campaign.  The report was introduced by Ms Gibson.

 

Ms Gibson introduced a colleague from Leicestershire Constabulary, Mr Nick Morton.  Ms Gibson took Members through the report and confirmed that the Borough Council and the Police were working closely with the Royal National Institute for the Blind on the campaign.

 

She pointed out to Members the key considerations behind the campaign highlighted in paragraph 7 of the report.

 

Ms Gibson explained that Loughborough was targetted initially to gauge responses.  The Borough Council was looking to extend the campaign to other parts of the borough when resources permitted.

 

Mrs C Radford CC was concerned that allowing vehicles to partially park on the pavement created difficulties for the disabled and partially signed. 

 

Mr Marlow in response explained that, in built-up areas, it was essential to allow partial parking in order to allow emergency vehicles to gain access.  A balance was needed. Ms Gibson confirmed that the RNIB agreed with the process of partial parking on pavements.

 

Mrs M Smidowicz BC was concerned that there were inconsistencies between the campaign literature, the Highway Code and legal aspects.  A common sense and consistent approach was required.

 

Mr J Miah CC stated that the campaign needed to be sustained to ensure people get the message and adhere to it.

 

RECOMMENDATIONS

 

i)              That the report of the Street Scheme Manager be noted; and

ii)            that officers contact Mrs Newton to confirm when the campaign is planned to be extended to Hathern and how it will be publicised.

 

156.

The Local Highway Authority's role in the planning process pdf icon PDF 91 KB

Minutes:

The Forum considered a report by the Director of Environment and Transport on the highway authority’s role in the planning process.  The report was introduced by Mr Seedat with a copy filed with the minutes.

 

Mr Seedat explained that the planning authority consults with the highways authority on any planning applications that has transportation issues.  The assessment by the County Council of these applications takes into account the County Council’s adopted policies and standards, together with standards and guidance provided by:

-                      LTP3

-                      LCC’s Design Guide

-                      Department of Transport guidance notes

 

The key issues are:

-      access proposals

-      capacity and congestion

-      road traffic accidents

-      sustainability

 

Mr Seedat stressed that the highways authority only makes recommendations to the planning authority.

 

Mr G Smith BC stated that, at times, residents have recourse to challenge County Council recommendations; however, Borough County offices have said that they cannot be challenged.

 

Mr Seedat said that this was a matter for the planning authority - the County Council is only consulted in the planning process.  If residents have a problem, this should be referred to Borough Planning Officers who can discuss with the County Council.

 

Mr Houseman confirmed that there is a route for residents and borough councillors if there were problems with the recommendation from the County Council.  This is through the local County Councillor who gets the recommendation and its evidence when the County Council responds to the Borough Council.

 

Mrs Newton advised that Borough Councillors and residents discuss with the appropriate County Council officer any problems with the recommendation. 

 

Mr Smith suggested that officers explore the possibility of sending a draft of the recommendation to District Members as well as County Members.

 

RECOMMENDATIONS

 

i)                    That the report of the Director of Environment and Transport be noted; and

ii)                  that officers explore the possibility of providing a draft of the recommendation on planning applications to Borough Councillors as well as County Councillors.

 

157.

Road safety in Leicestershire - 2010 pdf icon PDF 93 KB

Minutes:

The Forum considered a report by the Director of Environment and Transport on road safety in Leicestershire 2010.

 

The report was introduced by Mr Karkowski with a copy filed with the minutes.

 

Mr Karkowski explained that between 2009 and 2010 total casualties within the county reduced by 92 (4%).  This is 39% below the 2000 casualty level and represents 10 years of sustained reductions.

 

In the same period, road deaths unfortunately increased by 3 (8%).  However, road deaths in 2009 were the lowest since records began and, even with the slight increase, 2010 is the second lowest.

 

2010 was the final year of the government’s national casualty reduction, and hence the national targets.  Our own complementary 2010 casualty reduction targets for KSI, child KSI and slight casualties have all been achieved.

 

Between 2009 and 2010, casualties in Charnwood increased by 16 (4%).  More importantly, the overall trend is downward resulting in a 34% reduction since 2000.

 

One concern is that, in recent years, the reduction of those killed or seriously injured on our roads has been at or above the national average.  This is something that officers are investigating.

 

Mr Karkowski confirmed that the full report on page 73 gives a plan showing where fatalities have taken place in 2010.  Every fatal accident is fully investigated with most fatalities having no common pattern.  Mr Karkowski agreed to analyse police reports in 2010 in order to ascertain what the % of casualties / fatalities are children walking to and from school.  He agreed to circulate to Members.

 

RECOMMENDATIONS

 

i)                    That the report of the Director of Environment and Transport be noted; and

ii)                  that officers ascertain the % of casualties/fatalities in 2010 were children walking to and from school.  Figures to be circulated to Members.

 

158.

2011/12 maintenance and improvements programmes pdf icon PDF 50 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Forum considered a report by the Director of Environment and Transport on the 2011/12 Maintenance and Improvement Programmes. The report was introduced by Mr Lorimer with a copy filed with the minutes.

 

Mr Lorimer confirmed that this was a standard report and, with the approval of the Chairman, asked for questions.

 

Mr Lorimer confirmed that, when schemes are undertaken, consideration is given to the most appropriate treatment for each location.

 

He also confirmed that utility companies works are monitored.  If they do not meet the required standards then the companies are asked to rectify the problem.

 

 RECOMMENDATION

 

That the report of the Director of Environment and Transport be noted.

 

159.

Programme of traffic regulation orders and signing and lining schemes - current position pdf icon PDF 50 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Forum considered a report by the Director of Environment and Transport on the traffic regulation orders and signing and lining schemes programme.   The report was presented by Mr Payne and a copy was filed with the minutes. 

 

Mr Payne explained that this was a standard report and with the approval of the Chairman asked for questions.

 

Mr Smith stated that residents were concerned with the delay in the advertising of the TRO for the Kingfisher estate.

 

Mr Payne confirmed that the TRO was to be advertised week commencing the 18th July.

 

Mr P Lewis CC confirmed that he had attended an exhibition on the previous evening where he had expressed his concerns to officers.  Officers have undertaken to organise an exhibition on this scheme in the local library.

 

Mr Payne agreed to update Mr R Brown BC and Mr Shepherd on the Holmfield Road Sileby TRO.  He also agreed to update Mr Houseman on the St Peters Court Syston parking control amendment TRO.

 

Mr Miah asked officers to update him on the Burder Street/Ratcliffe Road Loughborough TRO.

 

RECOMMENDATIONS

 

i)              That the report of the Director of Environment and Transport be noted;

ii)            that officers update Mr Shepherd/Mr Brown on the Holmfield Road Sileby TRO;

iii)          that officers update Mr Houseman on the St Peters Court Syston TRO; and

iv)          that officers update Mr Miah on the Burder Street/Ratcliffe Road Loughborough TRO.

 

160.

On-going action statement pdf icon PDF 52 KB

Minutes:

The Forum considered a report by the Director of Environment and Transport on the on-going action statement.  A copy of the report is filed with the minutes.

 

The Chairman asked that future reports show the name of the appropriate officer and the timescale of the action.

 

RECOMMENDATIONS

 

i)                    That the report of the Director of Environment and Transport be noted; and

ii)                              that future reports contain the names of the appropriate officers and timescale of the actions outstanding.

 

161.

Items for future discussion

Minutes:

There were no current items for future discussion.

162.

Any other items the Chairman has decided is urgent

Minutes:

The Chairman asked Mr Karkowski to bring Members up to date on the A6, north of the One Ash Island after the recent fatality.

 

Mr Karkowski brought Members up to date with the history of works undertaken at the One Ash Island.

 

He confirmed that there had been 7 accidents in the last 36 months.  However, there appeared to be no common features between the accidents. Mr Karkowski explained that he would like to collect more robust traffic speed information and update Members at the next meeting.

 

163.

Date of the next meeting

Minutes:

The Chairman confirmed the date and venue of the next meeting as Tuesday 4th October 2011 at 6.00pm.

 

164.

Chairman's closing remarks

Minutes: